RE: [ST] No More Group Rides for Me

George,

I have lead group rides for several years now, and most are at a fairly
quick pace. We've VERY rarely encontered any issues, and I think that's
largely due to the rules we've established before htting the road. Unless
the group I'm with have all ridden with me before, I give a good pre-ride
speech about ALL the important facets of a good group ride, with the focus
on two things: SAFETY, and no one gets left behind. The key to the latter is
knowing well the person riding sweep.

I try to make that person a rider well-known to me, one with patience.
Oddly, for my rides the sweep usually is the one who gets to remark that
they've hit the highest speeds of any, owing to the "accordian effect" when
we have a slow or unskilled rider in the group (hammering it on the
straights to make up for those slow corners.) I've ridden sweep a few times
myself, and thoroughly enjoyed it, as the sweep never has to worry about the
rider behind. :) It *has* happened, but it's very rare.

Group rides can be one of the most enjoyable forms of riding, if done right.
I still think it's best for my "sportriders" to separate the bigger groups
into staggered departures of 4-6, with 8 as a maximum, and grouped by known
skill levels. Good group leading skill is a learned one. When I first
started, I was foolishly "leading the race" in an attempt to show my riding
prowess (of which I had little then.) Now I concentrate on a SMOOTH ride,
using the method described in Nick Ienatsch's "The Pace" article.

I have learned to enjoy good group rides, and I also really enjoy just
getting out with 2 or 3 friends. There is safety in numbers, if done right.
(No cop really wants to write more than a couple of tickets.)

Ken M.
'00 RS