Re: [ST] What's that LED & HID Lights

On Apr 10, 2004, at 6:05 PM, Ken Mitchell wrote:
> The true High Intensity Discharge lights are usually Xenon lamps. The
> real
> ones are quite expensive, use a lot of power, are very bright, and did
> mention, are quite expensive? You would have to add power
> transformers, and
> I believe your lenses would melt, as Xenon burns much hotter than
> halogen
> lamps.

Actually, HID lighting typically uses less wattage than halogen and
produces much more lighting per watt of draw.  They also produce far
less heat per lumen of lighing; somewhere around 70% of the energy
radiated by halogen lighting is given off as heat, IIRC.

The big downside, as you correctly point out, is that they are far more
expensive than traditional lighting systems.  I thought that you
couldn't just pop in a replacement "bulb"; the entire lighting assembly
had to be designed to support HID technology, since there's no filament
the lighting pattern is very different and a different reflector must
be used.  However, it looks like Baja Designs has a system that doesn't
use new reflectors.  Maybe there's just so much light to play with it
isn't as important?

See <http://www.bajadesigns.com/sitebody/lighting/hid01.asp> for more
on Baja Designs' system.
- --