[ST] chains

 What Dan said:

> Pushing anything far enough past it's design wear limits can lead to bad
> problems.  These chains are strong and may last a long time past those
> limits, however, it a chain happens to break, it could lock up the rear
> wheel causing you to loose control of the motorcycle and crash.  Not a good
> thing.  The chain could also wrap around the transmission countershaft and
> cause some damage there.
I've had several chains break on me - I have since learned to take better
care of them.  I have never had one lock up the rear, though I have heard
that it can happen, but the last one that broke took out the clutch pushrod
and the waterpump on my YZF.   A new chain and sprockets would have been
much cheaper.

> As the chain wears it stretches.  It doesn't necessarily stretch evenly and
> this causes a surging feeling as time goes on.  If this surging gets bad
> enough, the ride quality definitely starts to suffer and it might cause
> faster wear on some drive train parts.

> To tell if your chain is shot, try to pull the chain off the rear sprocket
> (pull straight out).  A new chain will not pull of the sprocket and a worn
> chain will pull off significantly.  You can also measure say 10 links, turn
> the wheel and measure another 10 links, etc and compare the measurements.
> It there is a significant difference, your chain is worn.
>
> I recommend changing you sprockets with your chain.  They wear too and worn
> sprockets will wear out the new chain faster.
I know this is true also.

Nancy in Portland
02' Sprint ST
95' YZF600