[ST] Long Distance Tire Wear

My stock tires lasted about 4500 miles.  I got MEZ4's to replace them.  Just
cracking 8K and the center is rapidly approaching the wear bar.   Yesterday
I ran about 400 miles and today about 500.  A short day ride for me is 2-300
miles.  I've got plans for several multi-day 600 plus mile per day trips
this summer.   Despite propaganda to the contrary, if you are running longer
distance sport touring you spend way more time in that center area than on
the edges (maybe I had 100 miles this weekend on 4 lane only as a last
resort).

Are there any guys out there that do the longer distance runs and what types
of tires do you run?  Are there any "good" compromise handling/wear tires
for the Sprint?
Rod