RE: [ST] Engine buzz and balance shafts

Valve clearances should be checked every major service which starts at
12,000.  I had mine checked at 6000 with no changes and again at 12,000,
then every 12,000.  The throttle body synch is done every 6000.

synching the throttle bodies is the same as balancing carbs.  If you've
done one you can do the other.

You remove the gas tank, set it aside and hook it back up (there is a hose
extender kit that makes this easier)
Remove the airbox
use mercury sticks or an electronic balancer
there is a vacuum port on each throttle body and you sync the each of the
two left bodies to the right one which has no adjustment.
there are screws on the linkage that you turn in and out to adjust each of
the two left bodies.

The engine doesn't want to run well without the airbox on, so it takes some
throttle manipulation and higher revs to keep the engine running at a
constant speed.  A throttle lock or a helper really helps with this job.

Put everything back together and ride through three warm/cool cycle so your
engine light will go off.

A seriously cupped front tire will look like it has scallops on either side
of the center line when viewed fromthe front.  Our Sprints tend to cup the
tires early.  Mine were noticeably cupped by 4000 miles until I race teched
the forks.

Dan.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, New Mexico