Re: [ST] Are "sticky" tires worth it

I like the way this tire thread has developed.  Realism for real
riding.  I tour more than hit the edges and since a dirt bike wreck last
year with broken ribs, twisted knee, cuts, bruises and and 4 months on
the mend this year has me thinking about those times when I've pushed it
on the twisties and every time I go nuts the pain comes back to mind.
At 42, I really shiver at the thought of breaking more bones and
spending months limping around healing from my incurable adolescent
side.  before last year my tires always had the edge worn as well as the
center and this year I am less inclined to scrub up the edge.  Besides
how realistic is it to have the best sport riding tire for real world
riding?  I've only tried two types of tires on my RS and the stock 020's
are the best all rounder in my opinion.  I push then to around 8k and
the center always wears out first.  As a matter of fact as stupid and
irresponsible as I have ridden in the past and still do, I still only
managed to wear out the center.  If I ever have the dollars to buy a
track bike or drop the $$ for six sets of tires a season, I may try some
more fashionable tires, but for the real world and real roads and my
real wallet, I'll stick to old faithful BT020's nothing better for
endurance riding and occasionally riding fast through the curves.

T Elliott