Re: [ST] Race tech cartridge emulators

> I am planning on installing Race Tech cartridge emulators and springs
> this weekend. I looked at
> http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/index.htm
>
> and I am a bit confused. Race Tech's literature recommends 15wt oil but
> people seem to be using 5wt. What am I missing?
> Rupert

Rupert,
The stock oil in the forks is 8 weight, that's 8 and probably NOT 8W but
information on Showa oil is extremely sketchy.  I have seen both 5 and 10 wt
fork oil recommended by individuals but Triumph will only recommend the
Showa oil.  When it comes to Race Tech's recommendations, they are not the
most reliable either.  If you go to their web site you are asked a bunch of
questions to "tune" your install.  Problem is, the only thing that changes
anything is the make of the bike and weight of the rider.  The resultant
info only gives you a recommended spring rate, the part number of the
emulator kit and/or spring.   I must admit I did not try every combination
but all I ever got was 15 wt.   I would recommend calling RT and ask for
someone who knows something.  DO NOT take any answers from "Vally Girl" ,
that's what I call the girl who answered the phone every time I ever called,
and I called a lot because I was sent the wrong emulator (just a simple
error on the order form).

The emulators can deal with a wider range of viscosities because of their
design.  It is much more important in a damper rod like the stock fork.
Actually, the best answer is probably from finding out what several guys
have used on their install and use the answer that sounds the best.  Not
scientific, but in my opinion I'd bet neither RT or Triumph knows what the
answer is.
Rod