Re: [ST] HyperPro Progressive Fork Springs

At 23:40 27/04/2004, you wrote:

>The local Hondakawazuki shop had the tool Charged me $30 (0.5 hour) to
>replace the spring.

Seems very fair.

>I've only put 40 miles on the bike with the new shock
>spring, but it's certainly more compliant. I didn't have anyone around to
>help measure/set static sag, so I'm guessing with preload settings at the
>moment. Initial impression is good, but not amazing.

You're probably now discovering how poor the damping is on the stock shock.
Certainly adjusting the damping setting on mine appeared to have very
little effect. It's definitely underdamped for me.

I weigh in at somewhere between 140 and 147 lbs depending on time of day,
and I'm running with no preload. The sag on the HyperPro spring without any
preload came in at a rakish 26mm as far as I remember. To allow the spring
to extend on braking, the preload has been backed off entirely. It's
definitely softer than previously and might squat a little more on the
power - but that might also be because I'm twisting the throttle earlier
and harder as my corner speeds are definitely higher. If your road surfaces
are anywhere near as potholed, broken, cracked and bumpy as the majority of
those around here, softer is better. If you've got a race track surface,
wind up that preload!

>I didn't pay for
>amazing, so indications are that I will be a very happy camper...

I agree, but it definitely takes a few days to get used to it. I've put
about 500 miles on now, including a decent run at the weekend, and I'm
discovering how much better it is all the time. However, I expect you and I
will eventually discover that 10mph faster through the bends isn't enough.
At that point I'll go for the emulators for the front and a new rear shock
- - probably when the current one wears out.

Never ends, does it ...?

:D

- - Spud.
'02 BRG Hyper-ST, Scotland.