Re: [ST] BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKES!!!

Derek,

If you are comfortable removing your can, the rear wheel, and displacing
the brake caliper you shouldn't have a lot of trouble changing the pads
yourself.  Got a manual or a Haynes?

A couple of tips though, slacken the retaining pins in the caliper that
the pads hang from before displacing it, and be careful with them as they
are soft metal and easy to strip the hex head - don't ask how I know!

I've also learned that a little copperslip (copper based brake parts
grease) applied to the back side of the pads where the caliper or piston
make contact with it can eliminate noises like pad squeal and chatter.

Also since you are squealing, check to see if any pad material is left or
if you are getting into the rotor.  If you have some material you'll be ok
for some short distances.

I've used the EBC pads (green) up front and sintered HH in the rear, seems
to me the OEM's last a lot longer though in the rear.  This reminds me I
haven't looked in on 'em yet this spring.

FWIW, HIH, YMMV, yada yada yada

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '98 VFR800FI -hers    ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  '89 Hawk GT  -hers   Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  66    U    AMA,CMHmoto,HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail