Re: [ST] Mobil 1 15W-50 SuperSyn Oil

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Rupert Galea" <rupert@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: August 9, 2004 8:53 AM
Subject: RE: [ST] Mobil 1 15W-50 SuperSyn Oil

> From my Haynes manual.
>
> The oil 'type or classification' is identified by its API (America
> Petroleum Institute) rating. The API rating will be in the form of two
> letters, e.g. SG. The S identifies the oil as being suitable for use in
> a petrol (gasoline) engine (S stands for spark ignition) and the second
> letter, ranging from A to J, identifies the oil's performance rating.
> The latter this letter, the higher the specification of the oil; for
> example API SG oil exceeds the requirements of API SF oil.

Thanks for that Rupert, but I'm much more interested in the JASO rating, and anyway, if
you do further research, I think you'll find that just because a particular oil exceeds
the specification for an older standard, it DOES NOT mean that it is necessarily suitable
in a particular motorcycle.  You have to realize WHY the higher spec's were created and
the trade-offs that result.

I've just completed some quick online research on JASO, and the best document that I have
found thus far can be found at:

http://www.cyberpoet.net/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html

I think you'll find that this documentation clears up a lot of the confusion, and in the
process, makes me a bit nervous about using the Wal-Mart red-cap Mobil 1 15W-50.  In fact
the problems may NOT be immediately noticeable.

Here are a couple of other links for those that want more:

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/motorcycle_oil_technical_facts.htm
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Neil