Re: [ST] ST longevity/reliability - Here it is

http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/recall/
> Engine bolts (wrong heat treating) - 99   Mfg: November 1998 - March
1999
> Fuel connectors - ALL
>
> Fuel sender (sheath caught in epoxy)?  Mfg: November 1999 - June
2000
> Rear wheel bearings?  Mfg: March 2001 - March 2002
> Clutch cable?  Mfg:  August 2000 - June 2001

Looks like there was also a chain recall:  Affected VIN range =
098573 -099811
see: http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/recall/recall3.htm

Rupert,
Found some info, above, online

Started to list my issues last week but got sidetracked
'01 ST bought new  7/01 now has 30,836 miles - haven't been able to
ride much this summer.
- - Clutch cable, replaced under warranty, showed no signs of failure.
- - Rt. ft. t/s lens fell off 2 weeks before warranty expired - warranty
replacement
- - No issues with fuel connectors, but I handle them carefully and am
anal about lubing/checking/replacing o-rings when I have them
disconnected
- - Some oil consumption, perhaps 1 - 1.5 qt. between 3k mi. oil
changes.  A rider with a heavier throttle hand would likely use more.
I'd rather it didn't use any, but I can live with this.  I was
probably too easy on the throttle during break-in.
    I've been kicking myself for not purchasing my buddies totalled RS
which had a freshly rebuilt & tweaked engine though I did get the
Race-Teched forks off that bike!
- - Rear shock isn't as crisp as it used to be, though I haven't
attempted to add in any additional damping
- - Had one no-start issue which remains unexplained, though was likely
just errant sensor inputs to the ECU:  One morning, loaded up for a
Mt. St. Helens ride:  Ign. on, fuel pump greets me with its usual
whine, crank engine - sounds normal, (uh, uh, uh, <repeat>) then
uneven pulsing (uh, uh, UH, <repeat>), like a low cylinder but no
firing sounds.  Later, after I'd checked under the tank, adjusted the
valves and generally performed the 24k service, it cranked the same
way for a while.  Then it fired a few times and  finally started,
running rough for a bit, then ran normally.  My guess is it would have
started the first time if I'd kept trying :o|.
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST