Re: [ST] Mobil 1 15W-50

Good work Matt.

That's what I recall they told me too, when I called them over a year ago.

Sooooo, in an attempt to summarize where we are with this ........

First -- Mobil 1 15W-50 (either the Wal-Mart variety or the Triumph-branded 4T) IS NOT
100% synthetic-basis oil.  Are we agreed that this would make it fall into the Class III
category, which means it starts life as a well-refined dino oil and synthetic base stock
(up to 30%) and other additives are blended in?  This would explain why the Wal-Mart stuff
is as cheap as it is, but not why the 4T is so expensive.  Oh, I forgot about marketing.

The only difference between these two flavours of Mobil 1, and small at that by Mobil's
own admission, appears to be with the amount of anti-wear additives.  These are probably
zinc and phosphorus (usually  packaged together as zinc dithiophosphate or ZDDP).
Catalytic converters don't like this stuff.  Any additional friction modifiers that they
add to compensate for the slight deficiency of anti-wear additives do not appear to be
present in sufficient quantities to affect wet-clutch operation.  It would also appear,
from other reading done recently, that these lowered anti-wear levels would affect air- or
air/oil-cooled motrocycles engines much more than water-cooled engines.

Incidentally I have a friend that has been using Duralube in his Bonneville since he
bought it new the year they were re-introduced.  That was over 30,000 km ago, and he's
never had clutch-slippage problems (or any other serious problems I might add).  Go
figger!

Neil