Re: [ST] ST longevity/reliability

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 12:02:31AM -0400, Rupert Galea wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has ever collected any data about ST
> longevity/reliability?
>
> If not I would be interested in doing so. That is if everyone sent me
> the year of their ST (or an ST they used to have). How many miles it had
> when then got it and how many it has now (or when they sold it or it
> died). What problems they have had and if the problem was fixed under
> warranty.

99 ST purchased in May 2001 with 7000 miles on it.  It had an engine
rebuild under the P.O. covered by warranty.

Replaced fuel sender (Eurosport did not pay for it and said it was not
covered.

Bike still leaked gas, I replaced the right-angle fuel fitting, which
broke as I tried to remove it.

The bike always had what I considered excessive vibrations.

It used 1 qt of oil every 3k miles.

Oil pan bolt leaked oil.  Dealers said it had already been covered under
recall, but they still leaked.  I was SOL, they said.

Ignition switch wires started separating from the switch housing.  The
taillight would go out intermittently.

I killed it in September 2002 with 28k miles on it.  I haven't really
missed it.

I decided the best thing about that bike was the other ST
owners I've met from the experience.

Laters,
Brian
- --