[ST] RE: How often do you ride?

Richard,

Your point about riding enough to have sharp riding skills is what we call
Proficiency and/or Currency in USAF flying.  Particularly in my early years of
flying, I needed to flying at least weekly and preferably more often than that.
 By the end of a week of flying twice a day on deployed missions, I felt very
confident in my skills to handle almost anything that could happen.  If I had
to sit down for a couple of weeks without a flight, I had to be very careful
to read my manuals and prepare at least mentally for that next flight.
Experience made this process easier over the years, but still it was necessary.

I am retired from the USAF and haven't flown a plane since 92.  I have chosen
not to fly civilian planes because of the expense of maintaining my skills to
feel comfortable.  It is in many ways equivalent to a drug habit, using
expensive drugs.

Motorcycling is very similar.  I ride primarily on weekends in the NW with
some evening jaunts for fun, like last night.  I would like to ride to work, 10
miles, but I have to dress professionally, etc.  So I approach the bike with
respect when I roll it out of the garage.  Reorient myself to its feel, loosen
the neck to swivel mode, and adjust my face to maximum GRIN.

I personally do not understand how racers can maintain their skills with only
one or two races a month.  Maybe the same way I do on the street.

BTW, I had10,777 on my RS at shutdown last night since Feb 02 when I bought
it new.

Steve Knudsen
Auburn, WA

Steve Knudsen Phone: 253-223-3737