RE: [ST] Sargent v. Corbin

I have the Corbin seat.  I was undecided on Corbin vs. Sargent, but when
Corbin dropped the price to $199 I couldn't resist.  After around 14k miles
on the stocker the already too plush padding was shot.  Anyway, the Corbin
has at least as much padding as the stocker - it's just MUCH firmer.  In
fact, at first it was too firm, but after about 500 miles it started to
break in.  The biggest complaint I heard (on this list) about both seats was
how far back the "pocket" is.  This is definitely true of the Corbin and as
I normally sit way up near the tank I thought it would be a problem.
However, as the seat is breaking in I'm finding it to be less of a problem.
It does give me more room to move around on longer trips - especially when
slabbing it on longer trips.  Also, it's much wider in all areas, giving
better support.  The Corbin is available in multiple coverings.  I too was
worried about maintaining leather, so I opted for the "faux carbon fiber" at
no extra charge.  No worries with maintaining it, but it is kind of slick
when wearing my Triumph Cordura 5-pocket jeans - I tend to slide back under
medium to heavy acceleration.  The problem is not as bad when wearing
regular Levis and it seems to be diminishing as the seat breaks in.  I don't
think the rear seat cowl will fit with the Corbin.  I don't have a cowl, but
I can tell you that the passenger portion of the Corbin is MUCH wider and
more dished that the stocker.  It is definitely the way to go if you carry a
passenger often.  You do loose the spot to carry the stock Triumph tool kit
with the Corbin, but overall the seat is of much better construction and
will probably last the life of the bike.  My feeling is that the Corbin and
the Sargent are probably very similar - I simply made the decision based on
price.

John in NJ
'01 BRG ST