re: [ST] A Ghost In The Machine

the misbehaving muffler was tbe culprit in a story in the series Gus
Wilson's Model Garage [ http://www.arcpress.com/modelgarage/gus.htm ],
which was the core curriculum of my technical education - sort of an All I
Really Need to Know I Learned in Popular Science, as a ten year old in the
'50s. each month Gus would be faced with an odd symptom, and would go
through a Sherlock Holmes/Richard Feynman solution process guided by his
body of knowledge of vehicles.

bp

<It appears that inside the Supertrapp can, the flange that holds the
bolts
that hold the discs broke free. This means that every so often, the discs
just get pushed up to the end of the spigot, and block the exhaust gasses.
Then, after a while, they slip back down.

The Ghost In The Machine, indeed...>