Re: [ST] Remapping

> Do you have a dyno to set it up on then?
>  You have to set the tune up properly wit ha dyno in order to get the tune
> correct for the engine under load.  I have seen the tuneboy in use.  It
does
> need to be set up on a dyno.  Thats why I have not bothered with it and
opted
> for the triumph sports tune. As someone said, a half hours labour.  The
price
> of the tuneboy plus the dyno time would make it too expensive to bother.

You don't *need* a dyno. Just download a custom tune or start tweaking a
Triumph tune and ride the bike. Chances are you're mostly making things
richer, so there's little chance of hurting anything. Wayne sent me a couple
tunes to try, both of which made the bike run better and eliminate the
popping/etc on decel. I then downloaded a cutom tune from T595.net and it
ran even better, but gas mileage was down to 42 and throttle response wasn't
as crisp as it could be. So I leaned this tune out a little (5%) for lower
throttle positions and advanced the timing 2 degrees across the board. Now
my bike is running *very* nicely thank you. I tried 3 degrees of advance,
but got some pinging under heavy load. Of course some dyno time is the
scientific way to really dial a tune into your particular machine. There are
some impressive gains to be made. One guy on T595 just got *15* more
horsepower on his Daytona in the midrange with his custom (non-Triumph)
exhaust. I saw the dyno charts. Amazing difference in midrange. I'd like to
dyno tune mine sometime as I think the RS is keeper. Sportier bikes keep
turning my head, but the RS covers so many bases so well. And it's paid for
to boot.

If you're happy with the way your bike is running, then I'd say put the $300
(or more if you want to dyno tune it) into a suspension upgrade. I wasn't
real happy with the Triumph off-road tune, but wanted to keep the sound of
the off-road pipe, so I spent the money and am happy I did. About the cost
of a PCIII, which is a common mod on other bikes with aftermarket pipes.
Another nice option is that I can re-install the stock pipe and tune (under
half hour) for long trips when I want the 50+ MPG gas economy back.

Garry