Re: [ST] Remapping

Quoting Colt45 <colt4530@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> If you want to get the last horsepower you will have to put the bike on
> a Dyno to optimize the tune.  Then when the injectors foul a bit you'll
> have to do it again.
? How would you fowl the injectors?

> However, with some knowledge of engine behavior and tuning plus some
> patience, you can get one running quite well.

It's the "quite well" thing that gets me. The manufacturers spend millions on
designing and optimising a system to squirt fuel very accurately into the
pots. Those settings can be mapped very accurately using the ECU.  In order to
get the best from those settings, remembering that its far more accurate than
carbs, it needs to be set up with the proper tools.  Old 1930s Harleys might
be fine when set by feel.  Modern emission control requires the accuracy of
fuel metering delivered by modern FI systems.  However if you can find a good
map (tune) that has been created with the aid of the proper tools, i.e. dyno,
then that map (tune) can be mirrored on another ECUs to match the conditions
of the original. However you have no guarantee that those third party tunes
are any good. A quick run on the dyno to full power will confirm that the tune
is a good one. Only one person needs to test it. All the others can copy the
tune once ratified.

>  I had mine getting 50 mpg
> and 2nd gear power wheelies with a Wolf pipe on it.  I got tired of the
> noise and put the stock pipe back on.  Now I've lost those last 3 HP at
> 9500

3 bhp is below the level at wich you would noitice. You get a biger
differential due to the time of day...

> and maybe the power wheelies in 2nd.  There are enough tunes out
> there that you will not have to build one from scratch.

But how god are they really.  Do they have any dips, etc.

> What you do end
> up doing is adjusting many of them to account for manufacturing
> tolerances in pressure regulators and injectors and differences between
> your bike and the development bike like a K&N filter, or a larger
> collector pipe.

For modifications true, but for modern manufacturing tolerances is a bit of a
red herring.

> The Triumph tune was fat and slow in my bike with the
> so-called road-legal Wolf.  It's really easy.  TuneEdit has a
> datalogging feature for the post-2002 bikes so you can use the engine's
> O2 sensor to give you mixture readings on the road.  No Dyno required;
> 50mpg easy, over 50 is possible and 115 Hp at the rear wheel is too.

I know about the tune edit software.  I've seen some of the disasters it has
produced.
How did you check for 115 bhp at the rear wheel without a dyno then?

> simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >You have to set the tune up properly wit ha dyno in order to get the tune
> >correct for the engine under load.  I have seen the tuneboy in use.  It
> does
> >need to be set up on a dyno.
> >
> >So basically, after spending all that money on an aftermarket can and the
> >tuneboy software and license, you wouldnt bother getting it dynod  to check
> >the guess by ear  settings?
> >
> >--
> >SimonB
> >

> --