[ST] short ride report..

just returned from a little tear up to crater lake, washington state and
a few other points.

Lesson 1.  if you are 5 miles from home and realize that your forgot the
airhawk, go back home and get it.  day 5 (an 830 mile run) will remind
you over and over ..  ad infinium.

I finally made the fun run around the rim road of crater lake.  I made 3
attempts over 7 years, and finally did it (snow 'issues' thwarted
earlier attempts).  Crater lake is lovely.  get there early (7am) before
the wind and boats break the surface.

I did the first 2/3 ride with my SO (on her ripping VTR 250 -- never
underestimate little bikes in the twisties).  We "discovered" a new road
(to me) -- salmon creek road which runs from Orleans Ca to Yreka.  A
fun, technical road, 50 miles of 1.25 lanes and many blind corners,
death inducing drops sans guard rails and pavement collapses.  It was
hot enough to fry an egg on the street, so we took a break along the
river, and indulged our bodies in some cold river water.

we did a treo of 300 to 400 mile days, then an easy 180 mile run to
olympia WA. for a BBQ, beer, scotch and behavior which would make duncan
proud (I was visiting a friend that I played in a band with about 20
years ago; imagination is appropriate.)  My SO is doing her first solo
run home over the next two days.  When I left I realized I have all the
tools and most of the crash spares. Doooh!  She's a good egg and doesn't
push things like I do.

Left WA at noon, ran down I-5 to CA rt 96.  96 is a fine road, but
around dusk there are way too many deer.  I made an effort to vanquish
the vermin by yelling "get out the road vermin, bob nixon has a big gun,
and he's comin' for ya"  I saw a few vermin, but they didn't attempt any
moronic moves.  (brakes and horns were used liberally) I ran rt 96 (fun
fun fun) to 101 then slogged it home. 830 miles in 13 and 'a little less
than' one half hours (13:29).

Pictures are coming.  (camera is with my SO)  I did arrive home to good
news.  bob nixon is back at his keyboard.

Interesting pain from this ride (other than the pain in my general
sitting area)  the bicep on my throttle arm locked up.  I couldn't
extend my right arm to full extension.  the tendons between elbow and
the bicep were tight as piano strings and the bicep muscle (small in my
case) was knotted hard.  it's very painful.  I iced it at home, and
things got better.

I've done back to back thousands on my other bike and never suffered
that pain.  Very odd.

It was great to be back out on the bike after some hellish work days,
then to put in a solid run on the way home averaging nearly 50 mph.
Mileage on the slab was between 52 and 56 mpg.  I don't know why the
mileage went up with the velocity -- the best tank mileage was done at
the highest average speed (? actual average was a bit over the limit,
like around 86 mph).  perhaps we should petition the government for
higher limits on bike so that we preserve natural resources.

- --chuck