[ST] Fuel System Cleaners [was Remapping]

Andy wrote:
> When pootling along at constant low speed (say between 20 and 40 mph)
> it regularly misses a beat, sometimes it feels more like riding a
horse!

And John replied:
> Try some Redline Fuel System Cleaner aka SI-1.  It is commonly
avaliable
> at Pepgoys.  It is the only in-tank cleaner that works.

In my experience, there are a number of very effective fuel system
cleaners on the US market, Redline is one, Justice Brothers [JB] and
ChemTool make others, and as mentioned, Chevron's product [sold in local
Costco Stores as ProGuard Fuel Injector Cleaner] is another.  My
favorite is Liqui Moly's "Jectron", most commonly found in auto parts
stores which cater to European shops/vehicles.

There are times where it is appropriate to run a very strong
concentration of cleaner for a persistent problem.  I've run a full
bottle of cleaner - enough for 10-20 gallons of fuel - in a tank
containing only a gallon or two with excellent results.  Andy, you might
want to try this approach.

Andy again...
> My dealer has checked the tune, there are no fault codes in the ECU,
> but they agree it isn't running right. I guess it might be a faulty
injector
> but it's $$$ for a new set and might make no difference :-(

I'd be wary of anyone who suggests throwing a bunch of parts at the
problem without any diagnosis to support the action.  In the trade,
these folks are called "parts changers" - not a complimentary term.
Injectors which won't clean up with in-tank additives can be removed and
cleaned with an ultra-sonic cleaner commonly found at quality automotive
machine shops.
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST