Re: [ST] Battlax BT020 and the rain

At 08:15 20/08/2004, you wrote:
>BT020's are one of the best tyres in the rain. I've had no problems with my
>mine in 2800 miles..

I've had three rear and two front BT020s on my ST now (last set went on and
came off as a pair), and while they've been absolutely fine in the rain, I
still didn't have the same confidence with them in the wet as I had with
the BT45s I used to run on my little grey import Super Four. Then again,
having more than twice the bhp and probably 3 or 4 times the torque to
contend with, I think the BT020s are very good and stable in both wet and
dry. They can squirm when they hit a white line or some tar overbanding -
but I've never met a tyre that didn't, and the secret is to stay off the
white lines and overbanding in the wet if possible ..... ;-)

However, in my own experience, the front BT020 does develop a "stepped"
wear pattern. This shows itself as a tendency to "fall over" on slow right
hand turns and when negotiating roundabouts. It's pretty unsettling, and
once it starts you've only got 500 miles or so until it suddenly gets
really scary (to me). This sensation is really accentuated in the wet - or
else I'm tensing up because I'm expecting it to be worse in the wet (how
much of such matters is all in the rider's head is for another day). I was
a little disappointed with the mileage too as my last BT020 front started
to show signs of this step at only 4000 miles. I was hoping for around 6000
miles from the front. (The previous front BT020 had gone completely at 5500
miles). Or maybe I'm just getting miserable in my old age in expecting such
tyre life.

So, I've now got a set of Avon AV45/46 tyres on, and if anyone has been
watching the news, you'll know it's been a little damp in the UK, and
Scotland has had a few roads closed due to landslides (57 people airlifted
from the A85 the other evening when 2 landslides blocked them). Now I'll be
honest and say I've been a little wary of these tyres, as I knew the
reputation of the "old" Azaros in the wet, but I can honestly say that
these tyres have performed all I have asked of them. I have been riding
slightly harder on each wet outing (every day as I currently don't have a
car), and so far no problems at all. They feel a little "odd" compared to
the Bridgestones at low speeds, but that's because they don't require the
same "shove" to make them initially turn - something that another lister
commented on yesterday. They are also lovely and light when travelling on
at a higher pace - they are stable and just do what they should.

It's too early to tell how good they are overall, but so far I'm happy with
the change and am not regretting it - yet.

Sorry for the length of this post - this is what happens when you get me
started on something.

- - Stephen (Spud) McS.
02 BRG ST, Scotland - blinking in what might be sunshine for the first time
in what seems like weeks.