Re: [ST] Tire break-in (was Battlax BT020 and the rain)

My experience with heat cycles in auto racing tires is that they make
the rubber harder with each heat cycle; undesirable. Street tires are
cured differently and are not changed by heat cycles.

 From Bridgestone's website:

Break-in Period

In order for your new tire(s) to provide optimum performance, tires
should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100 miles in order for
the tread surface to be ?Scuffed-In? and work properly. Directly after
new tires are mounted, sudden acceleration, maximum braking and hard
cornering must be avoided. This will allow the rider to adjust to the
?Feel? and handling characteristics of the new tire and for the new tire
to be ?Scuffed-In? correctly in order to achieve optimum grip level.

No mention of mold release compounds, but they have to be using
something to promote release.

David W. Funk wrote:

>You want "heat cycles"????
>I have never heard of wanting to heat cycle a tire. I doubt that it makes any
>difference to a pure street tire like the BT020, but high performance tires and
>race tires to NOT improve with heat cycles.
>Tire break in has less to do with mileage then with how you ride the break in
>miles. Less then 20 miles of twisty road will completely break in any tire. But
>straight freeway may never get the edges scrubbed in.
>Racers break in new tires in one lap.

- --
John Albright
'02 RS