Re: [ST] Azaro's

interesting writeup on engine vibes and tire-road excitation. hey - isn't
that why we do this in the first place?

the Avon 45 on the front of my ST is worn down to the wear bars on the
side, no easy feat in Oklahoma. when i turn in to the parking lot at work,
even clutch in and idling, i get a serious groan from down under.
worrisome. i tried with and without brakes, different speeds, even had the
dealer check for bad wheel bearings when the bike was in. the 'noise'
seems to be a result of slight cupping of the front side-tread, not
noticeable at regular speeds. a new tire is on order.

on my old VW 412, on the Interstate, the car would roll smoothly for
miles, then get a little wheel shake for miles, then ride smooth. i
finally determined that a front and a rear wheel were just slightly out of
balance, and slightly different diameters; the wheels would go in- and
out- of phase over distance, and their natural frequencies with the VW
suspension would add or cancel.

FWIW, has anyone seen Sobiloff dance?

bp

<  On Aug 30, 2004, at 9:41 AM, Rupert Galea wrote:
> Could it be this?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5hfdz
> [Link to a discussion of rolling harmonic vibration]

Man, after four years I'm still learning stuff from folks on this list. I
love it!

FWIW, I don't notice any rolling harmonic with my Avons, but I don't think
I'm very sensitive to vibration, either.
- - --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>