Re: [ST] New Engine

Hold on.  Hydrogen IS flammable and Oxygen is NOT, but is required for
combustion.

The problem is the cost of generating Hydrogen.  It takes more energy to
split a water molecule that is released when reforming it.  Even then,
our methods of transforming heat into mechanical force are inefficient,
about 40% max.  There is so little Hydrogen gas in the air that the
common method of super cooling air to condense out each gas as a liquid
is terribly expensive (unless you are a giant government agency ;-)
).  That leaves electrolysis or chemical reactions.  Electrolysis is the
inefficient means of splitting water I mentioned.  Chemical means are
beyond my experience, so I can't assess cost.  I'd guess the waste
products would be quite a problem.

Don't forget, water is also considered a greenhouse gas.  Would it be
any better to swap water for carbon dioxide as the major air emission
for our power plants and vehicles?  We might as well just give up and
move back into caves and wear animal skins!  We can't survive!  :-)

Chris Harwood wrote:

>And hydrogen?  That won't burn in isolation either will it? It didn't
>when I was at school.
>
>Chris Harwood
>Petrol RS

- --