[ST] Re: Nitrous - was New Engine

Simply stated (yeah, I know...) the nitrogen acts as
octane.
It is inert - meaning it doesn't react chemically with
the fuel or the oxygen.  That means the burning fuel
(combustion) must 'go around' it, which increases the
time the pressure can press against the piston.
The nitrogen does expand from the heat of the
combustion, which also adds (moderately) to the
pressure on the pistion.
More fuel MUST be added with NOS as NOS by itself
isn't combustable.  Sometimes builders 'cheat' by
running rich w/o the NOS.
The corner stone of more power from a gas engine is
burning more fuel - usually done by getting more fuel
misture into the cylinder (bigger valves) or more
intake strokes per minute (higher RPM).

FYI - compression ratio is a physical property that
doesn't change.
Hmm... Shoudn't that be a 'meta-physical' property?!?

Jim L
00 RS
74 T150V

>Ben Snyder wrote:
>--- Matt Knowles wrote:
>>
>>I don't know why nitrous oxide is used in drag
>>racing rather than pure oxygen? Anyone know that
one?

>Because the temperatures and pressures in an engine
>cause the nitrogen and oxygen to seperate.  The
oxygen