Re: [ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #677

sad to hear.
but as for your point, could it be that the only way you reduce the
number of people on the road would be by the cost of driving
increasing. We discussed recently the cost of fuel and in reality if
people are priced out of the market it will be more functional than
rules which can be ignored.
The added benefit would be the move to more cost effective transport
and the bike industry would benefit here.
The sadside of it would be the fact that single mothers etc may well
be penalised where they may need the transport most.

when i went to Barcelona this year, the number of young people on
bikes or scooters amazed me.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:44:49 -0600, phsammut@xxxxxxxx <phsammut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A few weeks ago I wrote about a friend of mine who was killed by a young
> girl SUV driver turning left in front of him.  Well, the "strong" arm of
> the law here in the U.S. swooped into action...the girl, who had neither
> license nor insurance, has been given two citations - one for failure to
> yield, and the other for driving without insurance!
> I have no desire to see the future of this naiive child destroyed by her
> mistake, but to see that the life of an individual - a husband and a highly
> skilled person (an Invasive Procedures Radiologist) - is dismissed so
> simply because he was riding a motorcycle makes me fume.
> As long as vehicles can be purchased off the rack like a pair of jeans and
> a license is handed out to children (and everyone else) after looking at a
> manual for 10 minutes, this sort of thing will continue.  We somehow have
> to instill into the culture that operating a vehicle (2,4 or 18-wheeled) is
> like carrying a loaded gun that can go off if we lose concentration and
> that if that does happen we will be punished the same way as if we had
> discharched the weapon.  I'll stop ranting, now.
> By the way, several members of the list sent very kind notices of
> condolences which I answered for the most part.  Unfortunately, 2 of them
> were accidentally deleted before I could respond.  So if you sent me a note
> and didn't get a response, I want to thank you very much and apologize for
> being an idiot who doesn't mean to be rude.
>
> Paul.

- --
iPat
live for today, live for tomorrow