RE: [ST] Antifreeze Leak and an Off Topic Item

> One of the issues I've had with my ST is that it seems to have
> a slight antifreeze leak.  This has occurred several times.
> The first two times I noticed it was with the hoses.  I tightened
> them up and that took care of this issue.  This last time it was
> one of the bolts that was on the water pump cover.
> Has anyone else had these issues?

Tom,
It's not unusual for hose clamps to loosen up over time.  This is hastened
by the heating and cooling cycles.  I make a point to snug them up whenever
I have the plastic off the bike.

The factory workshop manual directs that the upper water pump bolt be
removed when the coolant is drained.  I've seen several which leaked after a
coolant flush and assume the tech didn't replace the sealing washer under
the head of the bolt.

Needless to say, there are many other places where coolant can escape.  If
in doubt, the radiator cap is a standard automotive size so a pressure
tester can be used.
HTH,
- --Rick in Oregon
  '01 Sprint ST