Re: [ST] Fork Seal Questions

- --=====================_2012765==_.ALT

Ira,

Sorry for the delay, the past couple of days have been a little hectic!

You should be able to follow the service manual to replace the seals
without a hitch.  What you can do with the PVC pipe (1 1/2")  cut a piece
about six inches long and split it lengthwise.  Once you split it, cut off
a bit more on each piece so it will fit around the fork better.  Now you
can put a hose clamp around it to hold it in place.  I used a rubber mallet
and a punch to carefully drift the seal in.  You'll feel it snap into
place.  You can also place the old seal on top of the new one underneath
the PVC if you're worried about damaging the new one.  Make sure you don't
ding the fork tube with the punch!

One thing that helps out dramatically is a "fork oil level gauge"!  I have
this one.

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/suspensiontools.html

It does wonders to speed the job up!

One word of caution.   Have plenty of shop rags around 'cause fork oil has
a tendency to go everywhere.

Good luck!

George

At 11:05 AM 12/25/2004 , Ira Gluck wrote:
>Thanks again, George.
>This will be the first time that I've replaced fork seals. If you have the
>time, would you be so kind as to either point me to a place where they
>explain the steps, or explain how you use the PVC. I have all the service
>manuals, but still am a bit confused.
>Regards,
>Ira
>
>George K wrote:
>>I use a piece of PVC pipe that I've split open.  Some light taps from a
>>rubber mallet have work wonderfully in the past.
>>
>>George
>>

>>At 02:34 PM 12/24/2004 , Ira Gluck wrote:
>>>Thanks Don,
>>>Do you think that I'm better off getting the dedicated Triumph tool?
>>>Have a Happy,
>>>Ira

- --=====================_2012765==_.ALT

Ira,<br>
Sorry for the delay, the past couple of days have been a little
hectic!<br>
You should be able to follow the service manual to replace the seals
without a hitch.&nbsp; What you can do with the PVC pipe (1
1/2&quot;)&nbsp; cut a piece about six inches long and split it
lengthwise.&nbsp; Once you split it, cut off a bit more on each piece so
it will fit around the fork better.&nbsp; Now you can put a hose clamp
around it to hold it in place.&nbsp; I used a rubber mallet and a punch
to carefully drift the seal in.&nbsp; You'll feel it snap into
place.&nbsp; You can also place the old seal on top of the new one
underneath the PVC if you're worried about damaging the new one.&nbsp;
Make sure you don't ding the fork tube with the punch!<br>
One thing that helps out dramatically is a &quot;fork oil level
gauge&quot;!&nbsp; I have this one.<br>
</a>It does wonders to speed the job up!<br>
One word of caution.&nbsp;&nbsp; Have plenty of shop rags around 'cause
fork oil has a tendency to go everywhere.<br>
Good luck!<br>
George<br>
At 11:05 AM 12/25/2004 , Ira Gluck wrote:<br>
This will be the first time that I've replaced fork seals. If you have
the time, would you be so kind as to either point me to a place where
they explain the steps, or explain how you use the PVC. I have all the
service manuals, but still am a bit confused.<br>
Regards,<br>
Ira<br>
George K wrote:<br>
open.&nbsp; Some light taps from a rubber mallet have work wonderfully in
the past.<br>
George<br>
At 02:34 PM 12/24/2004 , Ira Gluck wrote:<br>
Do you think that I'm better off getting the dedicated Triumph
tool?<br>
Have a Happy,<br>
Ira<br>
&nbsp;The outside diameter of the Triumph tool(3880080-T0301) where it is
used for the seal/dust seal installation is 54.53mm. The inside diameter
is 43.4mm and is stepped out to a diameter of 48.25mm the last 5.8mm
.<br>
&nbsp; Hope this helps.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Don Kames<br>