[ST] Noisy Panniers...?

This is a posting to check that I'm not significantly more deranged
tonight than I was this morning...

Went out for a ride today and for first time in ages left the panniers
in garage.  I'm sure that the bike was quieter than with them on: I'm
tall and even with the tall screen fitted I get a fair amount of what I
thought was turbulent noise from the fairing.  But today much of this
noise was much reduced.  Could the panniers be causing the noise?
Unfortunately I got back late and haven't had the chance to go out and
do a back-to-back test.  So asking here is next best thing... Of course
there are many other reasons possibly, but curious all the same.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03