RE: [ST] Been Around

original message:

>From: "Masiak, Richard" <Richard_Masiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Steve,
>
>I can definitely relate.  Scary part is I haven't been around as long as
>you.  I've only been riding for 17 years and can safely say I've been thru
>every (very similar) situation you've described except the fog.  Almost had
>a thunderstorm down draft blow me & my Goldwing off the highway.
>
>Someone today asked my why do I ride in almost any conditions.  I can't
>explain it.  It's like a part of me.  I just said you're either a real
>motorcyclist or you not.

Rich,

Hats off to you bro'!!...  In reality, I don't think that the number of
years a person has been riding is nearly as important as to HOW those years
were spent.  Anyone who has put in 10+ years of REAL riding has plenty of
great bench racing stories to tell, sometimes in even less time.  I know a
couple of ~newbie~ LD riders that have well over 100K in just a couple of
years, that makes for a lot of good stories.  And you and I both know a
'real' rider when we meet them, whether on the road, or at the campfire.

Of course, some folks just seem to have stories to tell, others not.  I know
many a rider with 100's of thousands of miles, and just.... "oh well, we
rode from here to there, nothing happened, we got gas, we rode, we stopped,
we ate, we slept."  I don't like riding with those people.  They bore me at
the campsite, they bore me on the road, and they are usually really slow,
and they record their mileage at every fill-up, and they lube their chain at
proper intervals, and they have big fat chicken strips........and NO good
stories to tell, not even a good lie.

I did not mention that the worst fog I've ever encountered was also
accompanied by 40mph cross winds, across the top of the Talimena Drive, we
had to keep a brisk pace to keep the wind from blowing us over sideways, and
sideways was about a 2000 foot drop, off sheer cliffs (which we could not
see, but knew they were there, somewhere).  This was not fun at the time,
but makes for some great stories, post survival.

happy trails,

STeve duncan
eLDonut
dallas, tejas

"many things were left undone, and many things were lost"
(unknown motorcyclist, on the side of the road)