RE: Engineering 101 - Was:[ST] New Member

The simplest experiment is to take a rock and a piece
of jello out to the pavement and see witch one slides
further the jello would represent the human body and
the rock the bike. A bike is made up of hard smooth
parts and only the ends touch the pavement so with
less surface area the bike doesn't slow as much, this
changes if there is actually something for the pegs or
pointy objects to dig into. The mass of the bike also
helps keep the momentum going. On the other hand the
human body is made of mostly soft sticky material, the
leather and gear we use helps keep the soft material
in place. But when we hit the ground the body gives
and we have maximum surface contact and a lower mass
than the bike. The 2 combined make for a more rapid
deceleration and thus a quicker stop.

Long winded way of saying we're the jello, the bike is
the rock.

Martin
01 ST blue