Re: Engineering 101 - Was:[ST] New Member

Dan Wallander wrote:

>I was rear ended at 35 mph a few years ago on the Sprint.  I was instantly
>thrown from the bike to the left and the bike went down on its left side
>like a sack of potatoes sliding to the right.  As I was doing my best
>Superman imitation I, too, thought what a nasty sound, the plastic grinding
>on the pavement.  Anyway, the damage done was similar to yours, the peg
>twisted, the shifter torn off the bike, mirror and passenger peg scraped
>and the fairing broken and scraped, all the left and front pins and holders
>for the fairing cracked, bent or broken.

 I read a report by a CHP motorcycle officer who said he never puts his
bike in neutral at a stop light. He alwasys keeps
it in gear and looks in his rear view mirrors. He also said he stops
back a ways from the car in front of him to give himself
some place to go in case someone  dosen't stop behind him.  Which this
may be a good case for splitting lanes at a stop light and
moving to the front to get ahead of the cars behind you.  Just have to
watch out for that guy running the red/yellow light when you drop
the hammer.