Re: Engineering 101 - Was:[ST] New Member

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:23:57AM -0500, David Pullen wrote:
> So, I was riding my '03 ST in to work yesterday morning, taking a slow right
> hand turn coming to a stop sign, when I hit a patch of black ice.  Needless
> to say, the bike went down, me along with it.  Fortunately, I wasn't going
> more that 10-15 MPH, and it was a "clean" low-side; just a few bruises and
> some achy muscles.  The bike just slid on its right side for a few meters.
> Much to my dismay, however, the bike is only barely ride-able; I was able to
> limp home (not far), but with a missing rear brake lever, broken right foot
> peg, and bent handle bar on top of the expected damage to plastic parts.
> I'm very surprised at how easily some of these components broke.  Is this
> typical?  What should I expect at higher speeds?

When I low sided my VFR, I had a little damage to the bar end, scuffed
mirror, bent rear brake lever, grinding on the engine case, and damage
to most of the plastic on the right side.  This was at probably 40mph.

> Now the physics tie-in; my wife, upon hearing of the accident, asked me "How
> is it possible for your leg not to be crushed under the bike?"  My response
> - I'm not sure.  I don't remember pushing off or recoiling; in fact, I don't
> really even remember going down.  I just remember being down and wondering
> why my bike was sliding off in front of me.  I _do_ remember the sound of my
> bike sliding; almost as bad as the sound of the drill in the dentist's
> office.

I've read all the theories so far and I think they're probably all part
of it.  In my case, I was leaned wayyy over and the next thing I know
*BAM*, I'm sliding on the track.  The inside of my sidi boot did get
scuffed, but I'm not sure if it was from the bike or not.

And when I had mine I had a slight bruise on my hip and sprained the
back of my hand, I think from rolling after I left the smooth track
surface onto the gravel.  Gloves with carbon fiber knuckle protection
are A Good Thing (TM).

Sucks that your bike got messed up, but I'm glad your gear worked out
for you.  And better to lowside than highside.  BTDT.

Laters,
Brian
- --
Ft. Worth, TX
'97 VFR 750 (lowsided at speed and lived to tell about it)
'99 Sprint ST(highsided at 30mph and totalled)