Re: [ST] Cars v Bikes

There are so many variables in just the tires' compound, I'm not sure
you can say that one has an inherent advantage over the other.
Personally, I'd place my bets on the bike, IF the rider is skilled, due
to the weight advantage.

The good and the bad of motorcycles is that skill.  It's the big thing
that attracts most of us to them.  We have learned to master a machine
only a few can.  The skillful operation of that machine is a huge
adrenaline rush.  The bad part is it TAKES that skill.  To brake at the
limit and achieve max performance is pretty risky, because if you screw
up, .....  Not so in a car; a screw up is a trip through the grass.

I thought the bike rider was not trying in the video.  The better test
would have been to run each against the clock and see who had the best
time, not who was afraid of falling and getting squashed.

Spell Man wrote:

> Just my $.02, the one question I got wrong on my CT motorcycle written
> exam all those years ago:
>
> Which will stop in a shorter distance?
> A: A car going 30mph
> B: A motorcycle going 30mph
> C: Neither
>
> I answered, the actual answer was C.  Supposedly there is no breaking
> advantage.  It you wanted to look into the physics of the thing, bikes
> have less mass on the ground and less weight behind the mass, thus
> less friction, thus less stopping power.... I suppose.  What do I
> know, I got the darn question wrong!

- --
John Albright
'02 RS