RE: [ST] Cars v Bikes

In your message regarding RE: [ST] Cars v Bikes dated Wed, 11 Feb
2004 17:25:34 +0000, Spell Man said that ...

>SM- Just my $.02, the one question I got wrong on my CT motorcycle written exam
>SM- all those years ago:
>SM-
>SM- Which will stop in a shorter distance?
>SM- A: A car going 30mph
>SM- B: A motorcycle going 30mph
>SM- C: Neither
>SM-
>SM- I answered, the actual answer was C.  Supposedly there is no breaking
>SM- advantage.  It you wanted to look into the physics of the thing, bikes have
>SM- less mass on the ground and less weight behind the mass, thus less friction,
>SM- thus less stopping power.... I suppose.  What do I know, I got the darn
>SM- question wrong!

The answer is not the same now.

This was sent to me by a Brit Police Class I rider.

<Quote>
An interesting bit of information on a braking test for motorcycles
run
under the official supervision of the Belgian Federal Police.

The results in braking on a dry concrete route were:

Type of vehicle braking from 120kmph 90km 50km
Toyota Avensis 52m 28m 8m
Honda Fireblade 64m 35m 8.5m
BMW R1150RS with ABS 55m 31.5m 8.5m
GB Highway Code 110m 64.5m 14m

Results of braking on wet bitumen
Type of vehicle braking from
120kph 90kph 50kph
Toyota Avensis 46m 25m 7.5m
Honda Fireblade 49.6m 25m 6.6m
BMW R1150 RS with ABS 45.5m 28.5m 9.2m

These results were obtained by expert motorcyclists with machines and
tyres
in perfect condition!
Alain watched the tests taking place on the military airbase of
Koksijde.
The Honda Fireblade ( ridden by motorcycle racer Louis Wuyts) had no
ABS. On
the other hand, the Toyota Avensis car is equiped with ABS.
One of the interesting results of the test was that, on wet bitumen,
all
vehicles stopped faster than on the dry concrete surface!

Alain points out that the test revealed that the car almost always
braked
faster than the bikes, even though the bikes were in perfect
condition.
The car with ABS even brakes faster than the Fireblade!

Alain says that maybe this is a sign that the new braking system of
cars
have improved a lot. He says there are a few conclusions from this
that we
can all take on board.

1. The car brakes faster. Do not tailgate on your motorcycle!

2. Sometimes you can brake faster on wet bitumen than on a dry
concrete
surface.
Makes you think don't it?

</Quote>