Re: [ST] wheelie/oil starvation

The only way to tell if it's been damaged is to look at the main and rod
bearings.  A cheaper hint should be to look at the cam bearings.  The
cams in '02 models run directly on the head.  I'll bet yours does, too.
Oil starvation will score the head where the cam runs.  Since the cams
come out to adjust the valves, pay for an inspection and valve
adjustment if the bearings are O.K.  Since the cams are pretty highly
stressed and get oil last, they should starve first.  The exhaust cam
should be the hottest; look at its bearings first.

Matt Lyon wrote:

>My stolen/recovered RS was clearly used for at least a bit of wheely-ing.  The back of the muffler and the bottom edge of the mud guard below the license plate are both scraped, and the entire back end of the rear panel, from the seat rearward, is snapped off.  My dealer says this may have starved the motor for oil, and even if the motor can be started, and appears to run OK, it may have severe bearing damage, & start smoking and wear out pre-maturely.  Assuming the Insurance  company "Totals" the bike, I'm interested in buying it back & making a rat bike/streetfighter out of it - an authentic "Speed triple" so to speak. - but only if the engine's going to last at least several thousand miles.
>SO, does anyone out there have extensive wheelie time on their bikes?  How can I tell if the engine is toast or not?
>Matt
>crashed '00 RS

- --
John Albright