From: Jules Smith [mailto:Jules.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 5:33 AM
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] wolf underseat exhausts

I recieved a shiney new wolf exhaust two weeks ago on my standard 2001 ST I
have had a few problems I emailed compliants@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (as per the
website) which bounced to
webmaster @wolfracing.com which bounced back to me because webmaster user
is unknown!

here is the contents of the email, I eventually rang them, their responses
are below
*******************************
I fitted the underseat exhaust to my triumph st - there were a few problems

1. you did not send any of the required bolts, just a small plastic bag
with a hole in.

2. the diameter of the pipe that mated to the header pipe was a least 5mm
bigger, I could not fit it without making a gasket. The instructions said
use the original clamp - this would not go over the wolf pipe - so I used
the one in the kit. Attempting to tighten the wolf pipe onto the headers
without the gasket broke the bolt.

3. the silencers would not fit correctly onto the hanger bracket unless I
squeezed them together using a g-clamp and fitted the number plate hanger,
then tightened up the bolt on the hanger bracket. this means that the
strain on the number plate bracket has forced the 2 tabs to be at 45
degrees rather than 90 looking at the number plate hanger from above

_____\______/_____

rather than the original

_____|______|_____

I presume the aluminium will stay thay way rather than "rip"

4. after 100 miles the logos on the side have started to peel off - it now
looks awful. I thought rubbery plastic was a bit strange on something that
gets hot - but it did not say remove them - and by the way they were stuck
on it looked permenant. one side is distinctly worse than the other.

5. Your website states that there is a lifetime warranty
"To qualify for the warranty the original owner must return a warranty card
within 28 days of purchase".
I got no warrantly card nor did I get a receipt.

6. I asked for road legal pipes - they still sound a bit loud (but nice) -
will they pass an MOT. the baffles are stamped bs au 193 is that the
correct marking for a 2001 bike? I am actuall happy to put the original
back on for an MOT. but I thought the stamp had to be .. quoting BMF

All replacement silencers/exhausts must, for road use, be marked as
follows: EU e mark or UNECE E mark e.g. e11 or E11 and an approval number
e.g. 007 or BS AU 193/T2 or BS AU 193a:1990/T2 or BS AU 193a 1990/T3 or an
international mark that is equivalent to BS or Pre 1985 MC Only. If marked
NOT FOR ROAD USE it is not road-legal.

so please.

1. a receipt
2. warranty
3. instuctions on how to get the logos off
4. confirmation that I actually have the correct wolf exhaust and the bits
are not going to fall off (ie the number plate bracket.
5. an exhaust gasket - the one I made was made from wire wool 6. the exhaust
I have has not manufacturing defects.

finally a request

the steel undertray should have a slight dent in it to cope with the
toolkit which is under the seat (it does not matter how I arrange it, I
cant get the seat to fit with the toolkit under the seat)
also the steel undertray needs to be extended backwards so the rear wiring
loom is protected from the water from the rear wheel.

you should include a contents page in your instructions.

Thanks for you attention,
****************************

and the comments

1. I had already rang about this - they said they would put them in the
post that night - I still await them (2 weeks)
2. We've never heard of that and we have sold loads of them - moving to
triumphs are parts bin specials weve seen daytona, sprintst, sprintrs
headers on different bikes with the same part numbers. We have seen
different footrests with the same part numbers (I presume from their
experience with slip ons). they dont do gaskest to make them fit. 3. at 3
"he said look - its seems you have had trouble getting it on, but
you have managed it - what do you want us to do". He said the aluminium
should not be under any strain I should bring the bike down and let them
have have a look at it - I have rechecked and the aluminium and it seems ok
4. They are only good for 300 degrees centigrade and those are very thin
pipes - it depends how hot its running - the logos are foil backed 5. We do
do the warranty cards anymore we know who we sold them too - I
thought the website had been changed
6. The pipes should pass an mot - we had to do a lot of tests to be allowed
to have that stamp on. - I will update you - MOT on saturday

I also told him I was running on a standard tune - he said that this was ok
(is this correct), but you would be better with the aftermarket exhaust tune

and to my requests  - I seemed so pissed off I had bothered him - I did not
bother

we said he will send me a reciept.

I await your comments

*