From: peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 6:20 PM
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Smokin' Fairing

So yesterday, I stepped off my bike, kicked it over onto the side stand and
as I was walking into the bank, noticed that the bellypan was smoking...not
a good sign.

Closer inspection revealed the plastic appeared to be warping (as if it were
melting...in fact because it was melting). The strong scent of melted
plastic filled the air. It appears that one of the times that I've touched
down my fairing while under heavy load, the belly pan bracket got a little
bent. Bent enough that the pan was resting on the exhaust where the headers
merge into the single pipe that feeds out to the can.

Long story short, does anyone out there have a belly pan (prefereably BRG)
for cheap? Otherwise, I may take it around the corner to a body shop and
have the el Dunco special done and repaint them silver.

On a side note, my engine case appeared to spring an oil leak, which,
fortunately, I was able to discover when I removed the fairing.

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA

*