RE: [ST] brake cleaning

Cleaning the brake calipers is pretty easy.  First thing, though, do not
split the caliper halves.  This is not necessary and could lead to brake
failure in the future.  The Triumph manual recommends putting new seals in
(around the pistons) every two years, but I would try to clean the calipers
without going that far in first.  Simply take some brake parts cleaner
(aerosol can at your local auto parts store) and a small soft brush
(toothbrush works well) and scrub all the gunk out.  Remember this stuff is
caustic crap, wear safety goggles and rubber gloves.

It's a lot easier to service the calipers if you take them off the bike,
but then you need new crush rings for the brake lines and you need to bleed
the brakes which can be a PITA.  Though, if you haven't changed your brake
fluid in a while...

Dan.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, New Mexico
www.danwallander.com
Triumph Sprint ST :: BMW R90/6
TSRA-VP, ABC#6313, IBA, HSTA

> Back in my garage, I've tried to move callipers in and out several times.
Things are better now but far from perfect.