Re: [ST] Re: Cinders

Cinders.  Now that brings back some memories!  Many of them
painful.  Cinders are the left overs from coal furnaces whether from
houses, power plants, or steel mills.  Chicago had an abundance of all of
these years ago.  The city used cinders instead of gravel in the
alleys.  You didn't want to fall down while running in the alley!  Talk
about road rash!  Ow!  My wife has a couple cinders that you can still see
imbedded in her right knee.

When I first moved out to the sticks (16 years ago) they still used cinders
for melting snow and providing traction.  Now they use a "salt spray" on a
lot of the roads.  I spreads pretty evenly and does a nice job on the snow
but turns everything white or gray.  Looks pretty good on your coat when
you brush up against your car!

George

At 04:23 AM 2/25/2004 , Sum1 wrote:
>The name "cinders" comes from the use of coal cinders on icy roads in the
>past when homes were heated with coal and there was a lot of it around. It's
>actually a mixture of gravel and rock salt these days.
>
>Scott S.
>
>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:47:55 -0500
>From: "Garry Simmons" <garrysimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ST] Wayne National Forest (OH) - Need Advice
>
> > >  > Lots of cinders plus mud and water on the roads.
> >
> > Since you're probably not referring to the output of volcanoes, or
> > the remains of burned out houses or forests, exactly what type of
> > cinders do you folks find on your local roads? Hopefully not the
> > block type.
>
>Some places spread gravel (aka cinders) on the roads in winter to aid
>traction rather than use salt. Not sure of the origin of the name, but I
>think it's just gravel. Might be coke oven or steel mill related though.
>Dunno...
>
>Garry

> *   *

End of st-digest V2004 #106