[ST] $120 decision...

OK, I'm playing with the dead speedo on Vixen (00 Sprint ST), and need some
advice.

A month or so ago, the speedo just died. Odo still displays, but doesn't
change (and one reason to get the speedo fixed, other than to continue my
mockery of Tenacious G's driving record, is that I'd like to see Vixen hit
100,000 miles...), and no indication of speed - needle just stays against
the stop.

Had the dealer do a quick look - they plugged it into the GameBoy and
didn't see  the speedo move as it should have, which told them it was bad.

Went down to the local speedo shop (cool guy, has a new MV and an old one,
his son drives for BMW at places like Le Mans and just sold a nice 916),
and his advice was - given all that data - to replace the drive first, then
bring it to him to take apart. He says that the drive is the root 99% of
the time, and that in his experience it's possible (although I can't
imagine how) that a broken drive would keep the speedo from responding to
the GameBoy.

Local dealer has the drive, for $120.00 - no returns or exchanges on
electrical parts.

Thoughts?

MracD
01 MZ Skorpion Sport Cup 'Eutrepe'
00 Sprint ST 'Vixen'
95 Speed Triple 'Strumpet' - for sale, btw...