From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin
the Bike
Sent: Monday, 12 January 2004 3:09 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Dead ST - New model in sight ???

> Have you ridden a Futura??  a friend of mine recently totaled his ST, he
> bought a Futura .. his opinion is the ST is nice, the Futura way more
> stable, better handling, and he loves the twin. And this was after he had
> RaceTeched the front end and had a Ohlins on the rear and had a local
> master suspension guy do the steup.. His ST was dailed in!

I've owned both the Futura (2000 model) and ST (1999 model) so I've had a
pretty good opportunity to compare them back to back.

FWIW I'd say out of the box the Futura has better forks than the ST but not
as good as a properly RaceTech'd ST.
The rear shocks are about equal but the Futura has a really handy rear
preload adjuster.
The Fututra is probably more stable that the ST but the ST steers quicker.
Basically the Futura feels longer than the ST.

Motor wise the ST has a big advantage.
The triple is smoother, spins up quicker and is far less thirsty than the
twin.
Also the Futura felt overgeared and a bit of a slug low down, just where
you'd expect a Twin to really kick.

Finally, I still have the ST but the Futura is long gone :o)

Martin, "Howlin' Dawg" Fay,
Ireland
'02 Speed Triple
'99 Sprint ST