From: Tom Emberson [mailto:ate_st@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 2:23 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ST] Customer Input

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, James E. Wright II, Esq. wrote:

> I too vote in favor of getting rid of the chain - this is my
> biggest complaint.
>
> IMNSHO, sport-tourers should have shaft drive - I don't want to
> be getting greasy doing anything to my bike in the middle of a
> trip (or otherwise for that matter unless I'm choosing to do
> work on it that would otherwise be done by a service shop,
> which doesn't include anything done at less than 5k
> intervals...)

BTW, it should be noticed, the number 1 failure resulting in
withdrawl from the IBR this year was the shaft drive failing on
BMW's.

And is it really that hard to put the bike up on the centre
stand at the end of the day to spray some oil on the chain at
the end of the day, and then in the morning wipe of the excess?

On my LD trips is was far from being great, probably oiled the
chain every 1800 miles on average, and the stocker still lasted
over 18,000 miles.

Just a thought,
Tom

And of course, in the same vane, vi (or clone) is still be best editor :-)

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)