Re: [ST] Customer Input

Rod, I think you are spot on with this subject. I personally think the shaft
drive belongs on the new Trophy (denied, but probably coming). I follow both
the ST groups and Trophy groups and it seems to me that there are ST owners
who really should have a Trophy and some of the Trophy owners should have
the ST. I would like to see a clear distinction between the two bikes, yet
they are both sport touring bikes.
In the last four years I have owned four bikes trying to find what is right
for me. This list includes a Sprint ST, Trophy, BMW RT and BMW LT. It has
come down to, I like and have two bikes, the ST and the LT. The ST is my
sport bike that I can spend a long day on. The LT is a sporty Touring bike I
can spend days and days on. I don't think there is a one bike that does it
all and I wouldn't want it that way. I realize we all can't have two bikes,
I am lucky I can. If I could only have one bike I think it would be the
Trophy. It handles damn near as well as the Sprint, it has great ergos, and
the 1200 four is one of the best motors I have owned. The LT's 1200 four
reminds a lot of the Trophy motor, it sounds almost identical to the
Trophy's motor except it has 85 ft lbs of torque.
I like the idea of Triumph keeping a lineup that includes the Daytona,
Sprint and the Trophy. Then keep the formula for each bike pretty much as
they are with teh exception of the Trophy, which I think it should have the
shaft drive, electric outlets and adjustable windscreen. Those three bikes
won't fit the exact bill for everyone, but that should be a wide enough
spread to satisfy the needs of most of us (european style of sport and
touring rides)  I am not excluding the traditional classic bikes and the
smaller sportbikes, they are a whole other market segment.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA