Re: [ST] Wheelies

garrysimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So, is it me (lack of skills or guts or both), or does the bike
 > just not have the brutal acceleration needed to power wheelie?

There's been some good chatter about lofting and wheel stands in reply,
but nobody's hit on the physics.  Check out John Robinson's book on
Chassis ISBN: 075061840X.  Read the book and you can learn alot about
how the CG of the bike, and where/how you are sitting can influence
wheel stand or wheel spin.  I don't know if Charlie McCullough is still
hangin' round; he can comment what a power wheel stand really is (damn 2
smokes) -  the sprint won't loft like a GP bike, but if you take
advantage of the physics, the front end will point skywards without effort.

Garry -- it's the torque (and more specifically the dT/dt - change in
torque over change in time ) that offers the power wheel stand.  I admit
I don't do many "loft the bow, damn the coppers" moves, not because I am
a stoneless rider, but more because I don't like replacing bearings.  If
I could land the big kahuna wheelie as smoothly as it went up, I
wouldn't bother, but I haven't mastered the landing.  I seem to have a
curse living in my garage when it comes to replacing steering head
bearings.  In an effort to minimize my pain, I like keeping both wheels
on the tarmac.  With both wheels on the black, I can point the bike
where I want it to go (even when thinking a bit too much about DoD
nominal), and know that I won't be pulling the front end apart to fix
the "auto steer super slab headstock bearing detent" too often.

Should I mention that both of my race bikes need both headstock and
swing arm bearing replacements??  ick...   I don't mind motor swaps (or
removal and replace with rebuild), but the chassis bearing replacements
always go awry for me.  peraps a lesson from my garage demons?
no wheel stands and easy bearing replacements.
wheelstands?  "YOU _WILL_ PAY, HOOLIGAN"

naturally, your mileage (and demons) will vary.  loft away!

- --chuck