[ST] Is it time for the Insurance thead yet?

Well boys and girls,
    It's time for me to go shopping for insurance for next year. I'm
currently with Progressive. Have been with them for 1 year. I paid $370
for full coverage last year. I'm 57, married, had a drivers license for
40 years, a motorcycle license for 35 years, no accidents or tickets in
last 7 years.  So I get my renewal from Progressive and they want $434
for next year. So I call them and ask the person meaning the desk today
how come it is up when all that happened last year was that I sent them
my money and they sent me a little slip of paper which said I was
insured for a year. I know everyones rates may vary, my problem is not
with the price but with the increase.  He said I was getting some kind
of special California rate last year and they were not offering that
rate this year. So I decided to shop around ( what a pain in the a**
that was). I did a goggle search for "California motorcycle insurance"
and then called several of the hits. I got  quotes ranging from $900 yr.
to $400 a year.  No one had a good explanation as to why there was such
a large gap for the same coverage on the same bike and the same rider.
One of the people I called was a broker in Southern Cal., I live in
Northern Cal., and guess what.  He gives me a quote for same coverage I
currently have for $350. So I ask who the insurance co is and he says
Progressive.  What's up with that?  Now last year I dropped my bike in a
parking lot, on a curb and destroyed the right side fairing pieces,
$1000.00 for new plastic. I did not file a claim as, it was my stupid
fault and I didn't think I should ask the insurance company to put out
$1000.00 minus my $250 deductible  for my mistake. I think these
insurance companies are just pulling these quotes out of their butts and
hoping to be lower than the last guy so they will get my business. I'm
still looking. I found one company that came in about the same as
Progressive, last year and I think they are going to the the winner this
year. I think these guys are all ex-used car salesmen.
Al

End of st-digest V2004 #56