RE: [ST] Dunlop sport touring tire comments

I put a set of Michelin Pilot Road on my RS a week ago, after 3 sets of
BT-020 Bridgestones and 5 rear Metzler Sportec M-1, 2 fronts. It's early to
esitmate mileage, but these are reported to be a 7-10K tire. I needed more
mileage than the sticky M-1's, as I'm starting to ride to work, a 54 mile
commute that's mostly on the highway (Mas Turnpike is a toll road, so I
can't say "freeway".)

After a weekend in the mountains of Vermont, wicking it up at a pace equal
to anything I'd done on the Sportec's, I can say I'm VERY impressed! A very
smooth profile, neutral steering. They warm up quickly, but never get as hot
as the M-1's do. Still, they never gve me anything but the utmost
confidence, and I did get caught in a virtual monsoon at one point. The
winds blew me clear across 2 lanes of interstate, but I can't fault the
Pilot Road. A crosswind of 60mph is more than the bike could handle with ANY
tire!

I'll give them the full test, but so far, this looks like a keeper. I have
never mounted Dunlops on the RS. I ran the D205 on my now-gone Suzuki GSX-F
Katana 750, and although they were good for 10K, I never cared for the
traditional Dunlop triangulated profile nor the D205's lack of grip.

Ken M.
'00 RS (w/45,000 miles now)
Spencer MA USA