[ST] Ride and Gear Report Part 3

Part 3

- -Day 5
The following day from Crested Butte we set out to The Black Canyon of
the Gunnison. Hwy 50 from Gunnison to Montrose has a few fun areas (if
you can hit it when there are no RV's). The canyon was spectacular and
the road down to the bottom of the canyon is a must. We met a biker
there from WI on a Harley Road King loaded to the gills. He was off
work for four weeks and was just cruising around the West seeing and
camping the parks of CO and UT before he headed to TN where he was
going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway with some friends. Man, I envied
him.

- -Day 6
We headed out to ride "The Million Dollar Highway"... highway 550 from
Ouray, Co to Silverton, CO. Another spectacular road through the San
Juan mountains. The name comes from the fact that the mountains in the
area gave up millions in gold and silver. There are old abandoned ghost
towns and mines all through the area and some are visible from the
highway. The road is twisty but you want to go slow to see the
scenery... and avoid the RV's.

Here's where I learned something about the Sprint. I was leading the
group and decided to pull off the road at an overlook to get a better
view. The parking area was on an incline. I parked the bike with the
nose facing downhill. I have a habit of not leaving the bike in gear
when I park it because I hate to look stupid when I get on it and hit
the starter button while the side-stand is down and it's in gear. It
always takes me a couple of confused seconds to figure out why it isn't
starting. This happened earlier in the trip and with my recent fuel
pump issue I was scared it had crapped out again and was gonna leave me
stranded. Anyway, I got off the bike and was removing my gloves when it
started to roll forward. The side-stand folded up and onto it's side
went the bike. My left side pannier was knocked off (part of the
locking mechanism bent but I was able to bend it back) and the side
fairing has quite a nasty scratch on it now. I have to ask myself - is
it more stupid to not have your bike start because the side-stand is
down and it's in gear or to have your bike fall and get scratched
because you parked it on an incline in neutral? I am now cultivating a
new habit of using the side-stand as a kill switch and then turning the
key off. I'll learn to raise the stand or put it in neutral before I
hit the starter. Anyone in the L.A. area wanna recommend a good
reasonably priced paint and body shop? Please email me.

A little humbled, I headed back to the hotel in Crested Butte with the
guys where they watched me cry in my beer.

The bike got unbelievable mileage in the mountains. I guess the slow
going and lots of downhill added up. I got 57, 58, and 59 mpg on
consecutive sightseeing (non-slab) days!

- -Day 7
The next day we parted ways. My buddies headed East and I headed West.
I got back to St George, UT (541 miles), got a hotel (not the Comfort
Inn with the annoying AC), some food, beer, lubed the chain, and gassed
up for my final sprint back to L.A. (387 miles).

- -Day 8
I awoke at 3AM PDT and headed out, expecting to beat the desert heat
and be home for a late breakfast with my wife. Boy, was I in for a
surprise! Just as I was starting to see the lights of Las Vegas, I
noticed my tachometer was not registering. Soon after, my speedometer
and odometer were cutting in and out. I made it to the first exit with
a gas station in North Las Vegas where my bike breathed it's last
breath. The symptoms were like a dead battery. No starter reaction at
all and then after a rest the battery would come back a little and I'd
get maybe a click. I have AAA motorcycle tow coverage but to my
surprise AAA is very regionalized in its services. They are not
affiliated with a motorcycle tow service in Las Vegas. Fortunately,
they recommended one (they only knew of one). So be warned... a tow may
not be as much of a sure thing as you think. It cost me $135 which AAA
will reimburse (I think). In any event, I called the tow company and a
truck was out in about an hour. It was a long hour near the end of a
3000 mile trip sitting at a truck stop only about 4 1/2 hours from home
at 5AM but my day had only begun.

Before I left on the trip I had printed from Triumph's website the
names of the dealers in all the states I would cross. It listed Findlay
Motorcycles in Henderson, NV. I had no idea where Henderson was and
hoped it wasn't on the other side of the state. Turns out it's a suburb
of Las Vegas. The guys at Findlay were great. I got there before they
opened, but a couple of guys were in the shop and took me and the bike
in immediately. If you have to be stranded somewhere at a Triumph
dealer you don't know... Findlay Motorcycles is a great place. They
specialize in custom choppers - American Ironhorse, Titan, Bourget and
they were and Indian dealer and now sell Triumphs. Lots of eye candy
while I was waiting for the bad news. The store manager "Blues" even
bought me a breakfast sandwich. Turns out the stator was shot. For
those who don't know, the stator performs the same function as an
alternator on a car. Josh, the parts/service manager tells me they only
recently started to sell Triumphs and they went whole hog and ordered
all the parts Triumph says a dealer should have on hand. A stator is
not one of them! I was there on the Saturday before July 4. Triumph
America is closed on weekends and will observe the 4th on Monday the
5th. Therefore, the part can't even be ordered until Tuesday July 6.

As I write this, I am at home in Montrose, CA (outskirts of L.A.) and
my bike is in Henderson, NV (outskirts of Las Vegas). I ended up
renting a car and driving home.

- -Rental car report.
The guys at Findlay Motorcycles hooked me up with Enterprise car
rentals because there was one close to the shop and because Enterprise
will pick you up. I went to Enterprise and the truly nice guy behind
the desk informed me that a one-way rental came with about a $250
drop-off fee above and beyond the rental rate. A weekly rate would be
cheaper. The only problem would be if the part didn't make it on time
or the shop couldn't get the bike fixed on time I'd have to pay for
more days or drive back to Las Vegas to drop off the car. The helpful
Enterprise guy actually gave me a tip that National car rentals (as
well as others I'm sure) does one-way rentals much cheaper. He even
gave me the number for National and called a cab for me after I got the
reservation. Instead of $250+, I paid National $63 for a car to drive
home. That's info that I hope might help some of you out if you're ever
unlucky as I was.

Now I'll wait to here from Findlay about my bike.

I've had the bike less than one year. The stock tires were down to the
chord at 4000 miles. The new Avon Azaro St's will need to be replaced
soon (currently at 5500+ miles). The fuel pump has been replaced (at
approx 6600 miles). The stator will be replaced (at approx 9500 miles).
In my opinion, all of this is a part of motorcycle touring and I'll
definitely do it again. However, I really don't know how long it'll
take for me to trust the ST again. I was lucky it didn't leave me
stranded in the desert. The guys at Findlay told me about a BMW rider
who was stranded in Death Valley for four hours waiting for a tow. I
was also lucky it stranded me in a town where there was a dealer. There
were only two in all of NV.

- -Synopsis-

*Aerostitch Darien jacket, pants, and Kanetsu electric liner kept me
warm and dry
*RKA tank bag performed great
*Cruiserworks boots kept my feet warm and dry
*Genmar risers helped with ergos (ibuprofen still necessary)
*Throttlemeister was indispensable
*Avon tires were great in all situations but wear fast for touring IMO
(although not as fast as stock tires)
*Triumph panniers leak but not too bad
*AlpineStars "waterproof" gloves are not
*Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket kept me as cool as possible in the desert
*Sprint ST got between 45 and 59 MPG and performed great except it left
me stranded twice and needed major parts replaced
*Temple City Powersports (San Gabriel, CA) gave great service
*Findlay Motorcycles (Henderson, NV) gave great service
*Colorado scenery is unbelievable

Shawn
Los Angeles
'02 BRG ST