Re: [ST] New ST??

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Steven Kohlscheen wrote:

> <<
> The R1's and Gixxer's loose weight and gain HP with every model change
> (not necessarily every year). Loosing weight and gaining HP is a standard
> improvement for any motorcycle, so the ST could use it too.
> >>
> Why must the ST do this as well?

Not a must... but wouldn't hurt. That said it looks like there were
some pretty significant changes in the engine in 02, even if it didn't
necessarily result in more power. I wouldn't expect there to be model
changes every model year.

>The ST1300 gained HP AND weight but it
> still is considered a better bike than it's predecessor.  Your comparison to
> the R1's and Gixxer's is flawed because they are focused on outright
> performance.

It isn't just the R1's and Gixxer's - if I said we are going to improve
motorcycle X, where X is unknown, generally the first things you'd shoot
for are weight and power. Even on a cruiser.

>  I just don't need the bike to weight that much less if it
> means sacrificing workmanship, reliability, and durability.

No - sacrificing something wouldn't be an improvement then it
would be a tradeoff. Weight loss and power gain don't necessarily mean
sacrificing any of those things.

> Not to mention
> GVWR.  This is a sport tourer we're talking about.  A compromise bike.  And
> I feel it's pretty well balanced, for it's target audience, as it is.  Does
> that mean I don't want it to change at all?  Yes, and no.  I'll admit I
> would love to see a redesign just to shut up the damn magazine hacks who
> can't seem to find anything more to bitch about than it hasn't
> changed*boohooo*.  If that's it's biggest sin, than I think that's great.
> But I don't want to see shaft drive, ABS, radical styling and underseat
> exhausts.  These are not high on my list of "needs" in a bike.  That's just
> me.

Shaft drive and ABS are, IMHO tradeoffs. They make some things better, and
some worse ie: shaft drive is heavier and less efficient, but lower
maintenance. In general ABS is considered an improvement by the
automotive/motorcycle industry, but there's a fair bit of debate about it
by motorcyclists as regards motorcycles, and personally I'd be happier if it didn't end up
on the bike.

Again - I wouldn't say a change is _needed_ at all. I don't agree with the
magazines on that.  But there are some things that could be done and
they wouldn't be tradoffs or minuses.

Certainly if Triumph were looking to get positive attention from the
magazines, and potentially expand its market share then why not tweak some
things? It might even give the magazines a chance to notice (and
re-notice) many of the already great things about the bike. For instance -
who knew there was a Deere/BMW power outlet in the left fairing? None
of the reviews I read mentioned it, but it is a nice plus the the VFR
(and as far as I know the Futura) doesn't have.

Paul