[ST] The Chains vs Shafts Religious Wars

I've come to the conclusion that both sides of the chain vs. shaft discussion tend to be the extremes. At one time I was definitely on the shaft side of things, but in the end, I just want a bike that does what I want it to do. If it does it with a shaft drive, then fine, with a chain drive, then that's fine with me too. Modern chains really don't require that much day-to-day maintenance.

In the end, if it can be said that those on the side of the shaft discussion are too lazy, or maybe overly concerned with convenience and low maintenance (which is where I fell for some time). You can just as easily say that the "chain or die" crowd are overly concerned with efficiency in transfer of power that may or may not even be perceptible by the average rider. I'd like anyone to put forth a convincing argument that a K12RS or a R1150GS is somehow lacking in power or performance. Put a chain on it, would it be more power? Definitely. Could most people _perceive_ that power? I'm not so sure.

I certainly can't argue with the regearing convenience of a chain drive. But if Triumph were to pick a better final gearing ratio to begin with, it might not be such a big deal.

I've now put just under 24,000 miles on my original chain and 19 tooth front sprocket. More'n likely I'll change them out when I do the next service. I'm toying with the idea of the 18 tooth front sprocket. It is nice that I've got the option. On the other hand, it would have been nice if I wouldn't have had to bother.